June 23rd, 2011 by Digestive Detective
"We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance." - Benjamin Disraeli
We each have it within us--the power to create our own circumstances. This power allows us to regain control over situations and react in a way that provides the most opportunity to turn a challenge into a learning experience; an obstacle into a triumph. In order to harness this power, we must have 3 things: energy, discipline and focus.
Energy is something we can create. Physical energy can be recaptured with healthy habits:
• Sleeping a full 8 hours EVERY night
• Eating foods that are dense with vitamins, minerals & nutrients
• Being active if only for 10-15 minutes each day
Discipline comes first from recognizing your true motivation for what you want in your life and then establishing the rituals that will get you one step closer to that each day.
• Set an intention for each day when you first wake up. What do I want to do, feel and be today?
• Journal and reflect either daily or when the moment hits - consider carrying a journal with you throughout the day, taking note of how you think and feel and using that to understand where you are compared to where you want to be.
• Organize your life and find a "groove" or pattern that fits your lifestyle. If you find things you want to have do or be don't fit - find a way to make them by adjusting the ineffective and time-consuming activities.
Focus. Focus. Focus. When you have a compelling reason, motivation, and purpose for living the life you want and enjoying the physical health and vitality you desire, focus on that reason EVERY DAY.
• See it in your mind's eye.
• Take time to refocus if you find yourself off track
• Use visual aids to keep you focus - create a vision board that represents all the things you want to do be and have in your life. Look at it daily to set your focus for the day.
Implement these steps and begin and end each day reviewing how well you did in each, and where you could improve. Create positive change by making small steps forward as you progress.
Jason Bosley-Smith, CSCS, FDN is a certified personal trainer and lifestyle coach as well as a Functional Diagnostic Nutritionist. He is the founder of www.digestivedetective.com – a comprehensive health, fitness and training website that provides articles, podcasts, fitness videos, webinars and customized online training/coaching for individuals seeking to improve the way they feel, function, look and live.