October 6th, 2011 by Digestive Detective
Scare up an appetite with this healthy Halloween and autumn-inspired recipe!
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped organic red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- tomato salsa, optional
- 1/2 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese (organic or raw)
- 1/2 cup toasted gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup fine gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 8-inch rice-flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded organic romaine lettuce
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook,
stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a large bowl; let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare tomato salsa, if using.
- Add pumpkin, cheese, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to the onion mixture; mix well.
- With dampened hands, form the vegetable mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through.
- Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 2 to 4 patties at a time in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.
- Wrap the patties in tortillas and serve immediately, garnished with lettuce and fresh tomato salsa, if desired.
331 calories; 13 g fat ( 4 g sat , 7 g mono ); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 6 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Vitamin A (100% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Folate 34% dv), Selenium (30%dv), Calcium & Iron (20% dv), Magnesium & Zinc (16% dv).