April 17th, 2013 by Digestive Detective
SUPER COOKIES?! With a combination of selenium-rich Brazil nuts, maca powder, and coconut, these cookies provide healthy fats and nutrients to boot. Maca powder is derived from a herbaceous plant of the crucifer family and has long been used as a root vegetable and for medicinal purposes among traditional cultures. Some clinical trials have shown that maca has favorable effects on energy and mood, and may decrease anxiety. Maca powder can be found at health food stores and Whole Foods under such labels as Navitas Naturals.
- 1 cup raw Brazil nuts
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 1 1/2 tbsp maca powder
- 3/4 cup (packed) soft Medjool dates (about 7 or 8), pits removed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Grind all the ingredients together in a food processor or VitaMix until a coarse dough has formed.
- Check the consistency: pinch the dough and make sure that it sticks together, yet still crumbles like a cookie.. If the dough is too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time until the dough sticks. If the dough is too wet, add spoonfuls of extra coconut oil until the dough is just right.
- Form the dough into balls, about a tbsp at a time, and roll exterior in extra coconut.
- Flatten into cookies and serve.