July 15th, 2013 by Digestive Detective
Popular in Asian cuisine, agar and kuzu/arrowroot provide a way to make this gluten-free, custard-like dessert featuring delicious, antioxidant-rich blueberries!
- 1 tablespoon kuzu or arrowroot
- 2 ½ cups apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons agar flakes
- 2 cups blueberries
*You can find agar flakes and kuzu/arrowroot in natural foods stores or Asian grocers
- In a small bowl dissolve kuzu or arrowroot in ½ cup of apple juice or cider to make a slurry, and set aside.
- Put in a medium pot 2 cups cider, 2 tablespoons agar flakes, and 1 cup of blueberries.
- Bring liquid up to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until agar flakes are thoroughly dissolved.
- Add the slurry to the liquid, stirring constantly, until mixture just starts bubbling again – no longer.
- Turn off heat and stir in the second cup of blueberries.
- Pour into a shallow pan and refrigerate about ½ hour until cool and set.
- Pour into a container and serve.
SHARE! What are some of your favorite gluten-free desserts?