November 21st, 2012 by Digestive Detective
The holidays bring plenty of opportunities for decadent dinners and over-the-top meals. Part of the holiday food challenge lies in maintaining a healthy perspective with delicious, nutritious fare at parties and events while avoiding the "holiday overload" of heavy, calorie-dense but nutrient-poor foods. Try this nutrient-dense and super-flavorful appetizer made with antioxidant-rich red peppers and healthy fats from avocado for a tasty, textured treat!
- 1/2 cup red or white onion, chopped medium-fine
- 2 ripe avocados, diced into half-inch cubes
- 2 large, fresh tomatoes, chopped, juices strained
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, plus additional leaves to garnish
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 - 1 inch finely chopped jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus generous grind of fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin, to taste
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 large red peppers, halved down center, seeds removed (trim bottom to sit level if needed)
- Toss onion, avocado, tomatoes and cilantro together in glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Whisk garlic, jalapeno, lemon juice and seasonings together. Pour over avocado salad and gently mix. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Fold avocado base in with a handful of mixed salad greens and stuff into bell peppers.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Makes four generous servings.