September 16th, 2011 by Digestive Detective
Happy Friday! Check out today's free workout for a circuit that challenges core strength & stability, and improves metabolism at the same time!
Core Conditioning Circuit
Movement #1 - Multiplanar Lunge
- Stand with tall posture and feet together.
- Brace your abominal muscles.
- Step forward to perform a forward lunge dropping the back knee to the floor and driving through the front foot to return to start position.
- Step laterally to perform a side lunge, dropping the hips back and leaning the upper body forward (keep a flat spine).
- Drive from the lunging leg to return to starting position.
- Perform a rear rotational lunge by stepping backwards, turning the outside hip while keeping the front foot planted and drive through that leg to return to start position.
- Next, step backwards to perform a reverse lunge but keep most of your weight on the front leg to drive from and return to start position.
- Step across the body to perform a opposite side lunge with your weight bearing to the stepping leg. Make sure to keep your hips and shoulders squared up, facing forward the whole time. Drive through the lunging leg to return hips to start position.
- Finally, perform a opposite side rotational lunge by stepping across the body, rotating the hips and pivoting the back foot. Again, drive off the lunging leg to return to start.
- Repeat entire lunge matrix on opposite side.
Movement #2 - Multiplanar Shoulder Press
- Grip a pair of dumbbells and stand with tall posture; brace the abdominal muscles.
- Raise the dumbbells up to shoulder height with palms facing each other and elbows in.
- Keeping the knees slightly bent throughout the movement, press the dumbbells up and slightly forward, then return to shoulder height.
- Bring the hands wide over the shoulders with palms facing forward and press both dumbbells overhead, then return to shoulder height.
- Next, keeping the palms facing forward and slowly press one dumbbell up and laterally (out to the side) of the body. Return that hand to the shoulder and repeat with the opposite arm.
Movement #3 - BOSU Rocker Plank
- Place a BOSU on the floor with dome-side down. Position your arms on the BOSU parallel to one another and with shoulders directly over elbows.
- Position your feet wide and then lift the knees off the floor until you are in a plank position - imagine your body being a straight line from head to heels. Brace your abdominal muscles.
- Once you are steady in your plank, slowly begin to shift your weight in the upper body, rocking side to side. Be sure to maintain your abdominal brace and neutral spine throughout.
For the circuit, perform either 15 repetitions of each movement or use a timer and perform each exercise for 30 seconds. Go from one exercise to the next in a circuit fashion, with no rest in between. Perform 3 total circuits.
Check out the video below for a demo of this fantastic circuit: